Now that we know all about Merlot, it's time to talk about food pairings.
With its medium acidity and medium tannin level, you can't really go wrong here. Here are some of our do's and don'ts:
- Pair with practically any food.
- Try it with chicken or red meat.
- Drink a bottle while you go to town on a pizza! Who's judging?
- Carbo-load with some pasta + merlot.
- Open a bottle and then not drink it all. (Who are you?)
- Pair with spicy food, like buffalo chicken dip or Thai food. There will be too many things competing in your mouth and you won't be able to enjoy any of them.
- Drink merlot with fish.
- Pair with leafy green vegetables. But honestly, you can if you want to.
For our Merlot Wine Club party, we had:
- Fruit: grapes, apples
- Veggies: cherry tomatoes
- Buffalo chicken dip + tortilla chips (Yep, we contradicted ourselves, but we had to learn the hard way)
- Guacamole + tortilla chips
- Cheese: Wine-soaked cheese, smoked Gouda, and apple-cinnamon goat cheese
- S'mores on a stick
Now go forth and drink some Merlot!